This position requires the application of knowledge gained from experience and expertise to the job duties and responsibilities tied to this role. In coordination with Project- and Construction Management and the Customer team, the Contracts Manager develops the bid/award negotiation strategy for the project and assures compliance with all regulations and contract terms and conditions.
The Contracts Manager may report to the team leader a senior Contracts Manager (depending job size), and will perform the following activities/tasks:
- Formulates contracting strategy for individual contracts.
- Performs resource survey and contract risk assessment, issue report of findings.
- Develops project specific master documents.
- Assesses resource needs; prepare manpower and indirect estimates, develop and manage budgets for individual contracts.
- Reviews and approves award recommendations from a contractual and commercial aspect.
- Travels to and/or resides at site location(s) to oversee contract operations.
- Analyse situations, identify and forecast pertinent problems and evaluate realistic options and recommend / implement appropriate course of action.
- Maintains compliance with all applicable policies, procedures and global standards
- Understands and have thorough knowledge of the principles governing the business terms and conditions of contracts being negotiated; and shall provide support or lead the negotiations where so needed.
- Hands-on involvement in the preparation and/or provide assistance with pre-award contracting activities such as preparing the ITB, approaching the market, evaluating pricing, drafting contracts for e.g. civil works, structural steel works, piping & mechanical and electrical/instrumentation works but also for “special” cases such as supply & erect equipment contracts, multi-discipline construction contracts, unusual scopes, etc.
- Prepares and reviews Inquiry Packages (e.g. Construction Contract SoW Description, Scoping Sheets, Unit Rate Descriptions, and related drawings and specifications) prior release to the market. This also includes a review of the inquire package on clarity / completeness / consistency, with a focus on interfaces & responsibilities and “who does what”.
- Identifies, solicits, and selects reliable contractors to supply consultant, speciality, and construction services to support the project execution.
- Coordinates and supports the development of the final Contract.
- Closely collaborates with the appointed Customer representatives on how to successfully manage the award and administration of contracts.
- Successfully manages contract changes post-award through close-out.
- Analyse and respond to contractor correspondence in such a manner to not eviscerate Customer’s rights and remedies under the contract.
- Involved in developing claims defence strategies and engaging Legal resources as required to implement such strategies.
- Monitors contractor performance and delivery of services to meet objectives.
- Provides agreed approvals and supporting documentation for payment of invoices to ensure required services to Client and its Customers.